Life in the Left-Hand Lane

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Walking/Running/Getting Out of the House

I went out for a walk this morning. I used to run and hope to get back into running.

Unfortunately, I haven't been out walking or hitting the gym the way I used to and the way I know I should. I'd started walking a little before friend hubby and I got married, when we were simply seeing each other. Back then, I walked maybe all of half-a-mile, then got ready for work.

Sometime after P. and I got married, I started running. Actually, I think it started off as walking Osha, our Cocker Spaniel. She loved going for walks. For her, it was a big deal. But then, I got to the point where I'd walk her several days, then go out for a run on the other days. Got to where I was really getting good at it, and enjoying it. Even started a running blog about how my runs (or walks) had gone.

After several deaths in the family, I slowed down on the running. Every time I'd start back, it seemed to take longer and longer to really get back into it. Then, on Halloween, 2010, I fell off a ladder at roof level and ended up in a local emergency room. It was a good two months before I could go out for any kind of a walk.

There are three holidays when I absolutely love going for a long walk. On Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, I'll bake up pies and pumpkin bread first thing in the morning. Then, after getting the turkey in the oven, I'll throw on my shoes and walk through the nearby park. It usually takes about an hour, maybe a little more if I really take my time and enjoy the scenery. But by Thanksgiving after the ladder incident, there was no way I was up to going through the park. Heck, I barely had the energy to get the pies done and the turkey into the oven. Thank goodness I was up to walking on Christmas that year.

Since then, my walking or running has been sporatic, at best. But this morning, I figured it was now or never. It would have been too easy to come up with any number of excuses not to go out. Instead, I got changed as though I was actually going to go out for a walk. Then, I got out the door and actually went for a walk.

I'd forgotten how much I actually enjoy getting out the door for a morning walk or run. First off, I tend to notice things that have changed since I've started different routes, or even since the last time I've walked a certain route.

It tends to go something along like this: Oh, wow, that house is up for sale again. They just bought that house last year; I wonder why they're selling now? Wow, they bulldozed more of the woods. On the plus side, they planted a bunch of trees over there. I can't believe how much that colt over there has grown since last year! And on it goes.

Then there's the whole thinking aspect of it. Since I don't bring along a radio, iPod, or any other gadget to listen to music, I really have very little to distract me. Sure, I bring along my cell phone, since I tend to go cross country a lot on my walks. I've found myself face down on a dirt path more than once after tripping over a tree root or having a stone roll under my foot. Heck, I've been known to trip over bumps in the sidewalk! (Check out that Grace post again.) But as far as bringing along anything that would distract me from my surroundings, forget it. So, while I'm noticing the scenery, my mind is also mulling over stuff, wondering if I'll hear back on a job, if something I've written will sell, how best to edit a section of film, if...

...maybe I'll head out again tomorrow morning. (I think I will...)

No comments:

Post a Comment