Life in the Left-Hand Lane

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Cold Showers...

Call me picky, but there are some things that I've come to expect in life: food, a roof over my head, a hot shower. I know I'm being a little weird, but you grow up having those things, you kind-of get hooked on them. Sure, there are other things that I thoroughly enjoy (sooo glad I bought some more coffee yesterday!), and probably always will.

This morning, I went to take my shower and got cold water. Now, granted, the hot water usually takes a few seconds to get from the water heater to the shower, but then it runs predictably well: turn the hot and cold knobs, and whoever is in the shower gets water that's neither too hot nor too cold...but just right, sort-of like Goldilock's porridge in the three bears' place. (Don't get me started on trippy lit for kids...) The other thing is that if you leave the hot water knob on too long, you'll eventually need to turn it off and let the water heater work its magic. No big deal...unless the water heater has decided to call it quits, without the proper two-week-notice. So annoying when things like this happen without notice.

So, this morning, M. was in the shower bright and early, since he has to be out of the house by 6-ish for his part-time job. While I can't vouch for it, I'm pretty sure he had hot water. He's been known to emit an ear-piercing shriek when hit with ice cold water first thing in the morning. Go figure. That'll wake you up quicker'n a pot of cappuccino. (That referring to both the cold water and the shriek.)

The second person hit the shower without problems...or, in the case, without ice water.

Several hours after the second running-of-the-shower, I decided to make a go of it. That's when I discovered that the water heater had gone AWOL. At first, I thought that maybe I'd cranked the cold water knob too far and the hot water not far enough. But finally, I turned them both on (with the shower knob in the full-force rain position), then turned only the hot water knob back on. It was wonderful...if you like cold showers.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are times I do enjoy a fairly cold shower. But it's usually in late August when I've spent the afternoon mowing the lawn. Those of you who have ever lived in Florida during August can relate; if you're from upstate New York, say, Buffalo or Rochester or upper New England; think February, then think its polar opposite. There you go. August in Florida is like sitting in a hot and humid sauna that is cranked up to the max and packed with the gold metal Olympic Sumo Wrestling team. Mow the lawn on an August afternoon, that cold shower'll feel real nice. Any other time, fuhgeddaboudit! (Yup, my NY accent might be showing.)

So, I called the landlord's answering service. This is, after all, Saturday. I kept thinking that I really hoped someone would call back today, since I don't relish the thought of another two days of cold showers. Fortunately, the property manager did call back. But since she's booked up this morning with repairs, she couldn't promise that she'd be here this afternoon, other than to find out if it's simply the heating element or the whole water heater that'll need replacing.

In the meantime, I think I'll go grab another cup of coffee. At least my coffee maker works and I have the coffee I bought yesterday to put into said coffee maker. I might as well have coffee; I'm already awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment