Life in the Left-Hand Lane

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Marathon Explosions

This afternoon, while checking out Facebook, I noticed a post from a friend, K.C., that seemed almost cryptic: "Not. Cool. I hope everybody's okay!" She then included a link, along with the headline that read "Explosions Reported At The Boston Marathon; Dozens Injured [Updating]".

At first, I didn't pay any attention: didn't read the headline, was aware of a photo but didn't look close, didn't check the link. But when another person, a professor that K.C. and I know from school, posted a comment: "This looks really bad. Here's another link to what's going on in Boston right now:" and a link. I went back and looked at K.C.'s post, followed both links, then turned on CNN, then, after a few minutes, turned to MSNBC.

What had happened, what is known so far, is this: The Boston Marathon ran today. It runs every year on Patriot's Day (the third Monday in April), beginning in 1897. This afternoon, two bombs went off at the finish line, after the first wave of runners had crossed the finish line. An incident also occurred at the JFK Library; at first, the incident was reported as a fire, then as a third bomb. (At this time, reports on whether it was, in fact, a fire or third bomb are conflicting.)

I lived in the northeast corner of Connecticut for a little over four years, first in Thompson, right across the line from Webster, Mass., then in South Woodstock. During those years, living equidistance from Providence, Hartford, and Boston (*see below), my parents would frequently bring my sister, brother and me to each of those cities; each of them hold a special place in my memories. For years, I'd thought how wonderful it would be to someday run the Boston Marathon, then spend a day or two (or more) hanging out there.

Years later, when I first started running, the idea of running a marathon and eventually qualifying for Boston reemerged. Sure, I'd watch the New York Marathon, multiple Olympic Marathons, was aware of local marathons...But the Boston Marathon has remained the marathon that sparks the imagination, especially for one who lived in New England for a few years.

As I listened and watched the news, I was as stunned as I'm sure most people watching the unfolding news were. And it's still unfolding: The FBI would be sending agents to investigate; two people are now reported dead, over 100 injured; Logan Airport is closed; people are being told not to be in crowds for safety's sake.

With athletes from around the world in Boston to run the marathon, this becomes not just an attack on the U.S., but on the international community to a degree.

As President Barack Obama has just stated in a press conference, in something like this, "There are no Democrats or Republicans." We can add that there are no Americans, Africans, Europeans, Asians...there are simply people.

May God/Allah/Jehovah/Great Spirit/Mother Earth bless and care for us all.



*Providence is the capital of Rhode Island, Hartford, the capital of Connecticut, and Boston, the capital of Massachusettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment