Life in the Left-Hand Lane

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Art Walk

A week or two ago, my friend Boo emailed me, then alerted me on Facebook that I had an email waiting for me. Boo is an artist, a liberal, and a bit of a rabble-rouser. I like those traits in a person.

But back to the email: St. Petersburg has a monthly art walk in its Grand Central District. Boo and several others were planning to film several artists showing off their work in a free-form short film, and she asked if I wanted to come along. I said sure, then began wondering what the heck I was thinking. I do that a lot: I'll commit to something, then spend time wondering why I agreed to it; in the end, I'm usually glad I came along. But that's beside the point.

Boo showed up Saturday afternoon around 3:00. After bringing my camera and tripod out, we headed off. Boo had several things to drop off before we met up with the group.

It turned out we were a little early. As we waited, I wandered off a little. There was some live music nearby, and I figured I'd check it out. After listening a little and taking some photos, I asked the drummer, one Edward Burrows, the name of the group.

"Rare Phorm Band," I was told, as he handed over one of their business cards.

Quick Note: If you happen to find out that Rare Phorm Band is playing anywhere, and you get a chance, go. Definitely cool, definitely good. I hope they make it big.

Wandering back, Boo was gathering artists for filming, directing as she went along. I managed to take photos, some on her camera, some on mine, until two things happened: Boo's camera ran out of memory, and I ran out of film. Isn't that the way it goes? (Anyone who knows me well knows my one question when it comes to planning: How do you make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.)

But we continued on...We still had access to video, so that was how the rest of it went. Video was what Boo had wanted the most of, so that helped.

We were finished by maybe 7:30-ish, then hung out for an hour, gabbing away, until it was time to leave.

And yes, I'm glad I went along. Boo, if you're reading this, I'll have the pics to you by the end of the week. Edward Burrows and the Rare Phorm Band, please check back here for the photos, as well as at Robin Shwedo Productions. You might see someone you know!




No comments:

Post a Comment