Life in the Left-Hand Lane

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, February 14, 2013

What a week, or Is everyone in the hospital?

There are days that make a person just want to crawl back under the covers and hide. A good book might help, along with a plate of homemade cookies and a cup of coffee or tea. Or maybe a quart of vodka, if that's your preference. But since I don't drink...But let me back up and explain...

Actually, it wasn't just a day, but, rather, the entire week. It started back about a week-and-a-half ago, on Sunday, February 3 when my friend, Cookie, called. We've known each other for over half-a-lifetime, seen each other through the weird thing we call life. She'd just gotten her kids back from what sounds like a horrible ex- when we first met. Her kids and mine were all younger than our grandkids are now. We know things about each other that would make great fodder for the daily soaps, as is the case with most long-term friendships, but that's a whole 'nother story.

So, when I saw Cookie's number on the Caller I.D., I picked up. "What's up?" I asked.

"Well, I've had the morning from hell," she answered.

Because Cookie has a strong Drama Queen gene, I sighed. I figured it could be anything from The neighbor parked in my space to who-knows-what. I'm not griping, just explaining. I, too, have been accused of being a Drama Queen. For the most part, I honestly love seeing friends' and family members' Drama Queen-ness.

But this time, it was serious, and she truly had had the morning from hell. Her husband, L, was in the hospital with a stroke; she'd found him lying on the bathroom floor that morning, tried to wake him, move him, anything, before calling 9-1-1. They'd taken him to a nearby hospital; after some preliminary tests, and finding out how serious it was, he was transferred to another hospital.

"The place they took him to, XYZ Hospital? It's a train wreck." She knew, since she'd had to work there, years ago. She'd wanted him transferred to a different hospital, but it wasn't in the cards.

We talked while she tried taking her mind off what was going on. The doctors weren't hopeful, though things are starting to look a little better now, eleven days later. With any luck, he'll recover.

Then, Tuesday, February 6, my son M. informed me that he wasn't feeling well. "What's up?" I asked. Turns out, he was having chest pain. At least he told me around 5:00 p.m.; he's been known to let me know he needs to go to the E.R. at much less convenient times, like 2 a.m. Also, he's gone to the E.R. with chest pain a couple of times before, and it had always been something fairly benign. Since everyone in the house had had a bad cold or a minor case of the flu a few weeks back, I figured it was just left over tightness from all the coughing.

But since it was chest pain and M.'s dad had died at the ripe old age of 49, we called my friend Kevin to take us to Bayfront Medical. Turns out Kevin was tied up and said he could get us in maybe 45 minutes or so. Okay. Since Kev usually goes home early on Mondays and Tuesdays, this was a little unusual, but we didn't think much about it.

But after a few minutes, M. decided he really couldn't wait, could I please call 9-1-1? So I did, while M. called Kev back using his cell phone to tell him not to come by. In a little while, we were in Bayfront's E.R., being hurried into a room, where they started a battery of tests. There were others in the E.R., but certain things - chest pain, included - trump other things, like sprains.

Shortly after we got there, I called Kevin to see how late he was planning to be out. I figured he'd say he was already home. Turns out, he was at another hospital, not far from the one we were in. He had a family member who'd had a heart attack that morning and had gone to the E.R. This family member has had medical issues for a while; for privacy, that's all I'll say. But Kev said that he'd probably be heading home around 8; he'd call me when he was leaving to see if I needed a ride home.

M. was still in the E.R. when I left; they'd already said that they were keeping him for the night. Turned out, M.'d had a mild heart attack. Treated, taken care of, minimal damage, home several days later. Good as new, or as good as possible.

So, Thursday, after we'd gotten home, picked up his meds, etc., I got on the computer and discovered my son-in-law was in another hospital, and had been since the night before.

"I thought I told you," my daughter said. If she had, somehow I hadn't heard it.

M. is now on the mend, working today (it's not heavy work, so the doctor cleared him for that). B. is also on the mend, back at home. L., though, will be in the hospital for a while, as is Kev's family member. The best we can do is pray, send good vibes, thoughts, and wishes.

Would you mind horribly if I just crawl back under the covers with a good book and a cup of tea? One more thing - pass me a cookie...preferably peanut butter...

No comments:

Post a Comment